In 1850, the citizens of Horicon established a Library at the school for public use. It was moved downtown in 1869 where business places housed and cared for it. In 1874, E.M. Griswold took care of it in his store and Post Office. In 1899, the Horicon Free Library Association was formed under the leadership of Principal E.T. Johnson. The front room of the Odd Fellows Hall was used as the Library. In 1901, the room over the furniture store was became the Library, and in 1915 the Post Office space was acquired.
Finally, in 1926, the Library was moved into the City Hall which was on West Lake Street. In 1957, the Library was moved into the new City Hall on East Lake Street, occupying space upstairs until 1993 when the building was renovated and the Library was moved to its present location.
In 1900, $300 was appropriated from the City. In early years, because the money wasn’t adequate to run the library, it was earned by the talents of the schools, churches, city band, minstrel shows and theatricals; gifts were also given by individuals and groups. In 1948, the city provided $1,400 annually to the library and today it is over $100,000.
In March of 2010, the library sent out a survey to all Horicon households. For an MS Word report about that survey, click HERE.